2.14.2012

the planning of the garden...

nick and i are going to have our own garden this year. which is a first. we are usually working and tending to gardens of others. so we will plow our own plot this year. which has me very anxious. and very excited.

i am, by all accounts, already a bit late on ordering my seeds. yikes. who knew you had to think about the garden in february? is there no rest for the weary farmer? but this week i am to finalize my seed order and send it out to the garden gods. 

nick and i aim to grow as much of our  vegetables as we are able on this little plot of garden. which means planning way ahead to crops that will store well all winter. 

i have consulted just about every book we own. which crops are good neighbors. which crops give each other stds. which the honeybees like best. which the root cellar likes best. 

it has been one of the most exhaustive planning events of my short farm life. but i find myself so very excited to see it all unfold in by our hands in the cold earth. i'll write more about my 2012 garden plan as the days get closer to the Last Frost. for now, let us await the arrival of the seeds like little february gifts of summer.

are you growing any form of garden this year?

16 comments:

  1. Uh oh, I planned on it but def haven't started planting anything yet! We have a small backyard space and deck that gets morning sunlight in Brooklyn. Do you have any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I can't wait to have a house to plant a garden in. xo, rv

    http://aneclecticheap.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. so fun! can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. our library is very similar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to have some small sort of garden, but I too haven't gotten anything major planned yet. I need to get on top of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I got some book ideas from the photo you shared! I would love to read about stalking the wild asparagus. Also, I am going to have to pin that Ryan Gosling thing, because that is too fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, I'm in exactly the same boat! I'm pretty much to the point where I just need to order the seeds already and stop hemming 'n hawing, circling and crossing out, reading, reading,reading... ;-)
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA! Yes i learned about plant std's last summer when our teeny tiny plot of corn grew kernels that resembled black, gnarly ogre teeth. Not pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so excited for you to have your own garden! i love my small patch of raised beds that i fill with veggies & herbs & flowers each year. i just started my tomato, pepper & eggplant seeds & have plans on expanding my garden this year. it is so great to grow what you eat & preserve it for winter months!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's this hey girl thing all about? This seed one is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are building a raised bed and putting in berry bushes this year and I am so excited (and overwhelmed) at the possibility!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck! Seed-starting time is so thrilling. I can't wait to see what you picked out.

    Right now my "garden" is two aloes, a pot of spearmint, and a phalenopsis...they all go outside the RV in the sun while we're not traveling. I'll be picking up a few more pots of herbs soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds so exciting! I wish I could have my own little garden but that's not really possible right now since we live in a big city, maybe some day.. And I know who I would ask for advice. :)
    Good luck! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have been struggling with the same kind of thing. since when does life mean always having to play it safe? I feel like, at least with a lot of my loved ones, if I am not pursuing an education that with put me in debt $40,000+ that perhaps they have something to be concerned about. I admire your determination and loyalty to the things you are passionate about. Let us be people who take a stand for those things, and not fall for what others may perceive as happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  15. whoops, that comment was for your, "let us farm in peace" post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The seed catalogs on the bed? HILARIOUS and totally relate-able. LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...