5.14.2013

Nameless doelings


This is the story of two naughty nameless goats. I need your help coming up with some good names.

Sunday I went down to Big Picture farm to pick these two little sweeties up. They were a bit frightened to be separated from their mamas and herd and Monday (after I wrote about the schizophrenia of success and failure) I went to give them some alfalfa treats and try to win their affection. I had kept them Sunday night in the sheep's winter shed so that they may stay safe and warm while I scrounged up some goat fencing. I opened the door and knelt down to offer them the treat. Stupidly, I did not close the door tightly and the white one leapt past my shoulder and into the fenceless world. She bounced right out of sight, like a little woodland deer. I ran after her for a mile and half. First through the ramp forest then into a wide open cow pasture of our neighbors. I kicked it into high gear when I saw her heading for a house that owns a rescued coydog (half coyote/half wild dog). Successfully evading the coydog house I had inadvertently pushed her into the opposing pasture where our neighbor's herd was chewing their cud.  She flew through their sleeping herd and bounded straight up a 300 foot forested climb. That was the last I saw of her that morning. I like to think of myself as pretty quick but I am no match for a young goat, especially on steep terrain.

Aware that by now she didn't trust me I thought I would go fetch the other goat I still had and use her as bait for the runaway. I drove the bait goat down to where I last saw her friend and attempted to walk her, leash and collar into the high pasture, to where I assumed the runaway had vanished. The bait refused to walk with me by leash (I imagine it was her first time on one). So instead I carried her on my back.... straight up the forested cliff, tickling her every few yards to try to get her to call to the runaway. It wasn't long before I was exhausted and sweaty and dizzy and frizzy and frazzled and thought this was a rather dumb thing for a woman in my condition to be doing.

So I reluctantly gave up trying not to focus on the poor 2 month old white goat who would spend the night in below freezing temperatures among the coyotes and monsters of the mountains. I wouldn't be able to chase her. She was much faster. I wouldn't be able to lure her to me, she thinks of me as her captor. I wouldn't be able to find her. A little white goat in about 300 acres of contiguous forest. Some things are beyond our control to fix, I reminded myself.

I put bait goat back in her shed with treats and hay and water and went to meet Nick who had been expecting me 2 hours earlier at the new farm. (There is no cell service where we live, so you are either on time or you aren't, no calling to say you are on a wild goat chase). I met Nick in tears as I unwound the stress and drama and guilt of the previous 2 hours. We called the town hall to tell them we had lost a goat and to give them our home number if anyone found her. The town clerk laughed.

We had to finish the cow fence so that they would not escape again and so that is what we did. My fondness for the goat I barely knew and had just lost grew as did my anger and embarrassment. I couldn't imagine calling Louisa that night to tell her what I had done with one of her sweet little baby goats.

We drove home in tandem, listening to the sad verdict given by SCOTUS on the Monsanto soy bean trial. We crawled at 7mph up the last three miles to the house, looking left and right and up and down for a white speck of goat in the neighbor's pasture. Nothing.

We picked up speed in the last half mile as the realization sunk in that we wouldn't see her just happily grazing in a faraway field. As we rounded the drive to the barn Nick (who was leading) stopped abruptly and got out. I parked behind him to see what he saw. The little runaway was there standing in front of their shed, talking to bait goat from behind the locked door.

Ahhhhhh. The success/failure roller coaster had continued.

We got her back in the shed and today I got fencing and we have two happy little goats now who don't trust me for all the alfalfa treats in the world.

But I can't call them runaway and bait goat forever. I need your help naming them. My mind is fried. I have not one creative cell in there right now. Suggestions?

41 comments:

  1. Hi :) I am a longtime reader, first time commenter. I'm chiming in because I always love old-fashioned, vaguely Germanic names on goats, ones that seem slightly preposterous on real people... Like, Ethelinda and Gertrude, or Effie and Phyllis, or Hildegard and Clarice.

    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think you are totally on the spot re: appropriateness in goat naming. Ermintrude and Hedwig! Ada and Traudl!

      Delete
    2. I love giving goats preposterous names!

      How about Alonsa? It means eager...rather fitting for a goat!
      Also like Arabella, Berdine or Edda.

      Delete
  2. Runaway Goat = Del Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd call them Bo and Jangles :) Maybe someday there will be Mister too :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the suggestion from Kaela of Effie and I also would like to suggest Darcy. Effie and Darcy, sounds cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi from the Swedish countryside!
    What a story! I was biting my nails all through your text, reminding me of when my dog run out on a big road and we had to stop all the cars... I was so relieved to hear that the little runaway was there standing in front of their shed! What about Freja and Gerd? Two characters in Nordic Mythology, Freja was the fertility goddess and Gerd a beautiful giant. Strong names for strong goats.

    Hugs from Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Millicent or Matilda or Heidi or Maude or Flora or even Aelfgyva if you are feeling really wacky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucy for the Brown goat, and Lawless for the runaway goat. We might be getting baby girl goats this summer, so I better keep brainstorming. Best of luck!
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. Naughty ladies! Maybe Thelma and Louise? or Dolly and Emmylou!

    your space here is so special. thank you for all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, what a great story. I was stressin' for you guys! I've chased/herded pigs, cows, and dogs, but no goats yet. Off the top of my head here are some names I'd use for a goat...Grin, Copper, Bea, Tea, Poppy, Lila.

    Good luck!

    6000milestohome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a great story. you are one tough woman.

    ahh, i LOVE susannah's idea for Thelma and Louise. because they're preposterous names and they're quite fitting for the rambunctious duo. Lucy and Ethel could work, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I immediately thought about Thelma and Louise :) Just a perfect match !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rocky and Samson!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have names that my Hubs won't permit me to use. He says they're lame. I think they can be quite suitable for some animals.

    Frick and Frack

    Casey and Finnegan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lula and Belle, since they sound like they'll always stick together,

    or Who and Mee, since you know that this first adventure will not be their last bit of trouble....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thelma and Louise?? Love your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wouldn't focus on her escaping so much as the coming back on her own that's the sweet part. I knew two Danish sisters who had a similar connection, Heidi and Tina were their names.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I dunno, I like Bait and Runaway! And I like Heidi's suggestion of Bait and Hook.

    ReplyDelete
  18. betsy and rosa

    I love the way you retell your stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not sure if you saw this already or if you might be interested, but there are 4 free goats in VT that need a home: http://vtsheepandgoat.org/classifieds/emergency-situation/. Love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oona & Binga : ) I know 2 little milk goats with those names and they are adorable !

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't even think about names, all I can focus on is the fact that you chased a goat for a mile and a half, and then continued to chase it up hill with a goat on your back, PREGNANT (7 months?). You amaze me! Thanks for sharing your stories with us!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loretta & Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Belle for the good doe, BĂȘte for the bad one?

    Fidela and Zephyr? Zephyr for the one that runs like the wind, obviously.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Arya and Stark or Oingo and Boingo :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Runaway goat = Sue and bait goat = Lola

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bonnie and Clyde, bert and ernie, Mikey and Mallory, Thema and Louise is pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. beebop and rocksteady! kate.x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...