6.19.2013

Fiona


My sister, Hawkeye and I took the goats for a walk this morning. I am slowing way down. Fiona arrived for the summer four days ago. She is here to help us with the farm and the baby. As I said to Nick this morning I really don't know what I would have done without her. She is throwing herself right into the thick of it all. She milked the goat morning and night yesterday and again this morning when I wasn't feeling well enough to go to the barn. She chased sheep yesterday and corralled them back into their pasture with only the help of our Shepard puppy.

This morning she went on a goat walk with me as we scouted a new pasture for them. While Nick cooked us breakfast she played a guitar on the front porch. After breakfast Nick and I lay down with the four farm dogs underneath the apple tree while she cleared the picnic table and washed up. As I write she is banging in the nails to the deck of the yurt we hope to erect by the end of the week.

She could honestly just sit here like a lump on the log that is our couch and I would be overthemoon happy to have her here. She is the other half of my soul in a way that only a sister could be. But she's also kicking ass and giving me a much needed opportunity to slow down, to stop carrying heavy things, to stop chasing four legged creatures. She is giving me the chance I wrote of last week to move inward.  And for this I will forever be in her loving debt.

What would we do without our sisters?

photos: 1. Fiona and one of the still nameless doelings. 2. Hawkeye and me, at 36 weeks.

18 comments:

  1. I am not sure if I have ever commented... I found your blog via Dear Baby and love your photos and story...
    I do not have a sister... but I am currently pregnant with girl # 2 and posts like these just make my heart melt! We are so excited and terrified to be raising sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so lucky to have such a wonderful sister to care for you and your family and your farm and to walk with you on this journey (i know you know this). what a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so good to have helpful family members around. I don't have a sister, but I've alway been a twinge envious of the bond that seems to exist between them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Slow yourself down. Happy for you that you have at least one more human to lean on every day. You will only need help more and more, and I'm really glad that you seem to be able to accept that help. My biggest challenge when pregnant and then afterwards was admitting that I needed anything at all. Let other people take care of you; they want to!

    love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sister Love! What would we do without them! Happy resting time now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am extremely happy to read this. Sisters! Mine was such a huge help at the end of my pregnancy, and as I began my journey into motherhood. Nothing like sisters. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, sisters are the greatest! I am lucky enough to have three - sadly two of them live abroad, but it makes the times we get to spend together all the more special.

    I'm due to have my second daughter in about 7 weeks and although I have never had a 'sex preference' for my children, I am so glad my girls will have one another.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm having a second girl any day now. Your post about your love for your sister makes my heart soar! I hope my girls have a lifelong friendship like you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. such striking photos! so happy fiona is there to help you and nick. <3 cannot wait to meet the babe. -naomi

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing gift! Again, savor every moment...they are so incredibly fleeting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you look incredible, and how wonderful that you have such a person to lean on. your boy is very lucky. being an aunt was a life-changing experience for me, and seeing your baby with people you love is a bonus to parenting that I hadn't fully appreciated until it was finally here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you look so beautiful with that baby inside you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a beautiful blog, Kate. I just found you. I agree, sisters are wonderful. Your baby looks low and ready to make its way into our world. Good luck with the birth, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an incredibly beautiful photo of you pregnant in the sun, with nature ahhhh sets such a wonderful mood!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love this. where would we be indeed?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your sister is so beautiful! as for you, you look so peaceful and one can tell you already love this baby! Thank you for sharing your life with us.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...